Michael’s Hot Holiday Spiked and Spiced Apple Cider
Be the hero at your next holiday party with Michael’s Hot Holiday Spiked and Spiced Cider (spiking optional, but highly recommnded, of course).
You should make sure to use unfiltered apple cider and don’t be a cheap-o on your maple syrup. The cinnamon sticks are good for several refills so don’t worry about getting too many extras.
Also, the most important part is DON’T COOK OUT YOUR ALCOHOL! Ethanol (the good stuff in your booze) boils at 173.1 degrees Fahrenheit. So be sure your mixture isn’t so hot that it evaporates the alcohol right back out.
- 6c unfiltered apple cider
- 1/4c real maple syrup
- 2 (+ # of people) cinnamon sticks
- 6 whole cloves
- 6 whole allspice berries
- 1 orange peel, cut into strips
- 1 lemon peel, cut into strips
- cooking twine
- 1 to 1.5c Appleton Estates Dark Jamaican Rum
- Pour apple cider & maple syrup into large stainless steel saucepan
- Place cinnamon sticks, cloves, allspice, orange peel, and lemon peel in center of a washed square of cheesecloth
- Fold up the sides of the cheesecloth to enclose the bundle, then tie it up with the twine
- Drop bundle into cider mixture
- Place saucepan over medium-low heat for 5-10 minutes, until cider is very hot but NOT BOILING.
- Remove cider from the heat, discard spice bundle.
- Add rum & garnish each cup with a cinnamon stick and an optional star anise (add to the spice pouch if you like that licorice taste, yuck).